I have always loved that movies include previews so you can see what other works might be coming out. Some you might be interested in, some you might ignore, but it still gives you an opportunity to see what else is out there. As I worked on publishing my first novel, I realized this is not done for books. It is not done, but it should be, and I want to take that first step towards that. To do that, I asked my editor, artist, and beta reader if they would be interested in helping me create and judge a contest where the winner will be published in my next novel!
How do you enter?
- Once your short story is written, make sure to edit it yourself. We would prefer the story not be professionally edited when submitting it. (The prompt is an image prompt)
- The story MUST be in the adult fantasy genre
- Story MUST include a beginning, middle, and end. No cliffhangers.
- The story can include anything you would like, as long as it includes the prompt.
- Story MUST be between 3000 and 5000 words. If it is over or under it will be immediately disqualified.
- Save your short story in a word document, with the save file name the title of your story.
- Do NOT include any identifiers in the word document itself.
- When submitting the story, in the subject of the email, please include:
- 2023 Short Story Contest
- The Short Story Name
- When submitting the story, in the body of the email please include:
- your name
- your pen name
- your email address
- A link to your author website or author page on amazon.
- a brief author bio
- the title of your short story
- anything you want us to know about you
- Submit your story to “firstname.lastname@example.org”
- We know the wait is absolutely agonizing and we will be sure to respond to every individual that enters into the contest to let them know if they won or not.
Qualifications for entry
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must write an original short story based upon the provided prompt, written in the fantasy genre.
- Story must be submitted between the start and end date of the contest.
- Contest Start – 8/11/2022
- Contest End – 12/11/2022
- Each contestant can only submit one entry. If more than one entry is submitted, the first entry is what will be judged.
Your prompt is the image below.
What do you win?
There will only be one winner for this contest, and we (the judges) think the prize is pretty amazing.
- Your short story will be completely and professionally edited by Jess Millman. She will work with you to make sure your story shines exactly the way it should.
- This will include two rounds of line edits. One round is made by Jess and submitted back to you for approvals and changes. Then the second round of edits is made to clean up anything that might have been missed.
- This is worth approximately $650 USD
- Simone Catherine Green will be drawing an illustration specifically for your short story. You will work with her to design an idea, and ultimately approve it as well.
- This will start with a rough sketch to get an idea of what you are interested, as well as any guidance you want to offer. Then, as it progresses, you will get periodic updates that you will be able to approve or ask to have changes made too.
- This is worth approximately $250 USD
- Your short story will be published at the beginning of Book two of the Vestovian Trilogy: Vuthrie
- Bragging rights!
While is not necessary to read any of the works published by Alicia Jeanne to enter this contest, it is advised that you at least read some of the works to make sure this is a book you would want your current and future works associated with.
Meet the Judges!
If you liked the novel GoulCrest, and wondered about the people behind it, look no further. Alicia is the author of GoulCrest, and wrote the book. Steven was the pivotal beta reader in the book, pointing out sections that did not work so they could be fixed. Jess is the editor mastermind behind making sure everything had a good pace and flowed, and Simone is the artistic talent, bringing the cover art to life. Together, the four of us will be judging your short stories, looking at each story from a different perspective.
To learn more about each individual, feel free to read their short bios, and visit their pages.
Alicia Jeanne has always known she wanted to write, and her debut novel GoulCrest was met with rave reviews. Not only does she write but she reads and reviews books, crafts, and continuously irritates her husband and dog.
Steven is a professional Beta Reader as well as a Professional gamer. He takes his time to look at everything incredibly thoroughly, making sure he understands the entire picture.
Get in touch with Steven
Jess is a Manuscript Master-Surgeon with 10+ Years of Editorial Experience. Not only will she make sure you write the best you can, but she will be your cheerleader the entire time.
Get in touch with Jess
Simone Catherine Green
Simone is an artist with over a decade of experience drawing high fantasy art. Not only has she designed the cover for GoulCrest, but she has created the chapter illustrations for author Daniel Gatlin.
Get in touch with Simone
Terms and Conditions
1.1 These rules apply to all competitions, prize draws, promotions, giveaways and suchlike that are promoted on and run through our website or social media channels.
1.2 To enter a competition you must enter as directed on our website or social media channels.
1.3 Our competitions are free to enter (no purchase required, unless otherwise stated).
1.4 Promotions on social media are in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram, LinkedIn or any other social network. You are providing your information to aliciajeanne.com and not to any other party. Any personal information provided will not be shared or distributed with any third parties.
1.5 Terms and conditions may update at any time. Any updates will be posted as soon as possible on the website.
2. Eligibility and entry restrictions
2.1 To be eligible to enter a competition:
(a) entrants must be a real person, at least 18 years old and permanently reside in the United States(proof of address or age may be required)
(b) entrants must not be our employee, officer or agent, or an employee, officer or agent of any person or organization involved in the running of the competition, and you must not be a family relation of any such person.
2.2 The maximum number of entries to a competition per person is 1.
2.3 The maximum number of entries for a competition shall be at our sole discretion
3. Start and closing dates
3.1 A competition shall open for entries at the time and on the date specified on our website and/or social media channels, and similarly, shall close to entries at the time and on the date specified on our website and social media channels. Unless otherwise stated, these times and dates are set to those for EST (Eastern Standard Time)
3.2 Any entries received before the opening or after the closing of the competition will be invalid and will not be entered into the competition.
3.3 No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
3.4 We reserve the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of our control. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by us.
3.5 Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of all of these terms and conditions.
4.1 Competition entries shall be judged or winners selected on the basis of those criteria specified on our website and/or social media channels in relation to the competition.
4.2 If a competition entrant does not meet the eligibility requirements or is subject to any entry restrictions, that entrant shall not be entitled to be adjudged a winner, and will not be entitled to a prize in any circumstances.
4.5 Our decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5. Winners and prizes
5.1 Competition prizes for each competition shall be specified on our website or social media channels.
5.2 Competition prize winners will be notified of the competition result by email (if address is asked for/provided) or by direct message on social media not more than 60 days following the closing date of the competition.
5.3 Reasonable efforts will be made to contact the prize winner for 14 days but if the winner fails to respond to our notification attempts within this time or provide an address for delivery of the prize or fails to meet any of the eligibility requirements or is otherwise unable to comply with the competition terms and conditions, we reserve the right to disqualify that entrant and offer the prize to the next eligible entrant and thereafter until a winner is found.
5.4 The results of a competition will be announced on our website within 30 days following the closing date of the competition. The announcement may include the name and photograph, the town or region of residence and prize details of each prize winner.
5.5 No cash alternative to the prizes will be offered. The prizes are not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
6. Copyright and moral rights
6.1 You warrant to us that you created your competition entries, that you own all of the copyright in those entries, and that our use of the entries in accordance with these rules will not infringe any person’s intellectual property rights or other legal rights.
6.2 You grant to us worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual and irrevocable license to copy, store, edit, distribute, transmit and publish your competition entries.
7. What happens to entries?
7.1 Competition entries will not be returned. Please, therefore, keep a copy of your competition entries.
8.1 We may undertake publicity activities relating to competitions and prize awards. The winner therefore agrees to the use of their name, photograph and disclosure of town or region of residence in any post-prize-winning publicity names, surnames, towns or regions of residence and prize details.
8.2 Winners work can be unpublished from published work at any time for any reason at authors discretion.
9. Our details
9.1 This prize competition is run by aliciajeanne.com
9.2 Our mailing address is: PO Box 38 Baden PA 15005
9.3 You can contact us:
(a) by post, using the postal address given above;
(b) using our website contact form;
(c) by email, using the email address email@example.com
(d) by direct message on our social media channels.